Tuesday, March 21, 2006

iPole

Over dinner recently with CEinie, I met a new acquaintance that told me about a fascinating revolution in the world of exercise and body image. I can’t remember the exact name of it, but I thought it was called “The X Factor” (though I tried Googling this today and found nothing related…but that’s what I’m calling it for the purpose of this blog).

Apparently, the X Factor is a series of 8-10 classes where you go for a combo of exercise and self-esteem building via pole and lap dancing techniques. Yep, you read that correctly: you pay to pole dance (and lap dance too I think). Genius! Not only do you perform individually, but they actually encourage you to wear “strip club”, excuse me dancer-type attire to class. You know, to get in the spirit. My new acquaintance informed us she had just purchased 6-inch platform heels and a very, very naughty short skirt and cut-off shirt to wear. Double genius! And it’s not even Halloween!

Initially, this just sounded like some good crazy fun to me. Being the karaoke microphone hog that I am, I naturally thought: “Me + pole + audience of non-pervy men = fun!” My initial reaction was “CEinie! Let’s sign up!”

My new acquaintance was quick to point out that good crazy fun is NOT the purpose of the class. The purpose (I think) is to get you (women) comfortable with your body by seeing other people dance in an uninhibited fashion no matter what their body flaws are. Let’s face it, we all have them (remember Tyra’s sage advice on “America’s Top Model”: “Girl, I got a stomach too…you just gotta learn to hold that IN.”) and we all think that the body flaw world revolves around each of us and that there are gigantic arrows pointing ours out to everyone else. Or maybe the point is, the more frequently you get your stuff out there and get comfortable with it, the less it will bother you. Clearly, I do not know the point. Clearly, I am not yet on this higher plane.

The class is $450 for 8-10 sessions. Since I’m mulling over how to work in basic cable and wireless Internet at my new home, this probably won’t happen for me right away.

It did get me thinking though. What song would be my pole/lap dance signature sound? And what would my naughty attire consist of?

After a quick sift through my iPod, I quickly remembered the song that always seems to make me run a little faster and with a little more ‘tude when I actually make it to a treadmill and inspires me to dance 80s video-vamp style when I hear it at bars. Without further adieu, I give you, the RBrown pole-dancing tune of choice:

“Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard.

I think a pair of very tall white go-go boots with a very short but fitted 60s-style shift dress would go nicely with this song (yeah, I know it’s an 80s song but it’s my blog, people! Let me have a moment here!). I see hair and makeup similar to Sienna Miller’s 60s look donned in the 2004 version of “Alfie”. Yes, yes. My sound and look is coming together nicely.

Now, dear friends of the blogosphere, it’s YOUR turn. What’s your song? What will you wear? Guys, don’t think you can get off so easily (look at that – a copywriting pun…go figure). I’d love hear any one of the following:

a) what your song would be
b) what you’d like to see your girlfriend dance to (note the distinction here: I did NOT say what you’d like to see the local “dancers” dance to
c) if you’re just too uncomfortable with the whole thought of this, tell me what you “at-bat” song would be if you played for (insert favorite pro baseball team here).

Come on! Don’t be shy! Let it all hang out, people!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent choice, RBrown. I'd have to say that "Pour Some Sugar On Me" has got to be the "Stairway to Heaven" of the strip pole world. Meanwhile, hope you don't mind if I answer all 3 parts...

(a) Personally? I think I'd go with Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On" or "The Stroke" by Billy Squier.

(b) The wife? Something a little classier. Maybe U2's "Mysterious Ways"?

(c) My at-bat song (while starting at shortstop for the Mets) would have to be Jay-Z's "New York City."

Sheesh...I'm going to be thinking of this all night!

7:57 PM  
Blogger DP said...

First, how fun! Second, here's my Top 5 (yes, I have a freakin' Top 5):

1) Pour Some Sugar On Me (I feel you RBrown)
2) Girls, girls, girls - Motley Crue
3) Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas
4) Filthy/Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
5) Temptation - The Tea Party

There are other songs that almost made it in the Top 5, like Warrant's "Cherry Pie" and AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long", but I think the current Top 5 is a nice medley of trampy music.

As for clothing, I think any outfit consisting of fuck-me pumps/stilettos, fishnets and minimal coverage should do the trick.

8:23 AM  
Blogger concha said...

well the first thing i'll do before picking my song is get back to my college weight that ad school so carelessly ruined.

ok, feeling much lighter now...(hmmm...going through all 2500 iTunes songs...) damnit, i can't find anything. i'm sorry.

but i do have big arrows pointing at my flaws. the sharpie from when i was pledging my sorority never washed off....

8:26 AM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

MD and DP - love the choices! I feel so un-original now so I'm adding "Filthy/Gorgeous" to my list too and also "Are you gonna be my girl" by Jett. there are more. I'm still thinking.

My at-bat song has always been the opening 45 seconds or so of "Lunatic Fringe" . In my fantasy world, I'd be SOOOO good at baseball that they'd give me 45 seconds of song because the crowd at SBC park would be cheering so loud my song would just have to go longer. Because I'm just that damned good. Sans 'roids, naturally.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic. My song...Beastie Boys "Shake Your Rump".
Then I'd throw on a g and some fishnets.
Damn, I look good!!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when doves cry - Prince
crimson and clover - joan jett
strut, pout and put it out - don't remember the artist, but you know how it goes "strut, pout and put it out is what you want from women, come on baby whatchew takni' me forrrrr"

a police hat, cutt off t-shirt and ripped jeanshorts and knee-high black boots.
mm mm good.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

Sheena Easton, Virg. Don't be dum, girl..get you sum.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exercise method you are referring to is the Sheila Kelley S-factor. You may ask yourself, how does he know this?
Well...I saw Terri Hatcher do it one day on Oprah, (and I've seen it in my dreams a few times since then).

You can read about it here:
www.sfactor.com

The cost is a little more reasonable than you thought RBrown.
Its like 40 bucks for the initial two hour class, not bad.

But then theres the $50 fee to me so I don't tell mom.....he...he...

5:02 AM  
Blogger Tweets said...

I think I would have to go with:

1. Kiss Me Deadly by the venerable Lita Ford (my wardrobe would probably be eaxctly what she wore in her video)

2. Straight On - Heart (back when Heart kicked ass)

3. Black Betty - Ram Jam

4. Hot For Teacher - Van Halen (back when they kicked ass)

Wow, I can not believe how that music selection literally poured right out of me. I didn't even have to think about it at all.


I would love to see The Chuck prancin' around to Turn off the Lights by Teddy Pendergrass.

As for my at bat song... I have to go with the incredibly boring and expected Crazy Train by The Oz.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Single, Party of One said...

OH MY GOD!! Tweets! I totally forgot "Hot For Teacher"! That's on the list, but would only be performed for a select audience that only a few select readers will know who I mean.

I think I'd be wearing a British flag as a sarong. Perhaps a tight London Calling cutoff T.

It's good to have dreams.

Suddenly this blog is WAAAAY to telling.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

what, nothing by fogelberg?

11:34 AM  
Blogger concha said...

oh damn. i just thought of one. dirty but hey, it's slut time.

you know that song by the ying yang twins? "come on girl, lemmie get that (bleep) wet..."

yup. i'm the blonde one humping that pole in the back.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, "Love is a Battlefield" anyone?

Of course you'd have to pay me gobs of $$$ to do anything like that.

1:01 PM  
Blogger SteveInLA13 said...

*shake, shake* Plenty of sugar here, waiting to be put to good use.

As for my songs, hmmm...

How about Folk Implosion's, "Natural One" for me to strip to?

For my girl, pretty much any damn thing. I don't think my attention would be on the music, for god's sake.

My at-bat song? "Sunday, Bloody Sunday"? Not sure about that one, but it's all that's coming to mind.

9:21 AM  
Blogger AllieGatorUF said...

I teach exotic dancing in Orlando, Florida. I teach everything from pole dancing, to lap dancing, choreographed strip tease routines, sexy flex classes and strength and styling classes. Check me out at www.strippingslimfitness.com

As for my top 5 songs to strip/pole dance to are:

1. Feelin Love by Paula Cole
2. Buttons - by Pussycat Dolls
3. Dip it Low - by Christina Milian
4. Nasty Naughty Boy - by Christina Aguilera
5. Naughty Girl - by Beyonce

3:27 PM  
Blogger AllieGatorUF said...

I teach exotic dancing in Orlando, Florida. I teach everything from pole dancing, to lap dancing, choreographed strip tease routines, sexy flex classes and strength and styling classes. Check me out at www.strippingslimfitness.com

As for my top 5 songs to strip/pole dance to are:

1. Feelin Love by Paula Cole
2. Buttons - by Pussycat Dolls
3. Dip it Low - by Christina Milian
4. Nasty Naughty Boy - by Christina Aguilera
5. Naughty Girl - by Beyonce

3:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

vlululemon outlet, mont blanc, air max, nfl jerseys, rolex watches, beats by dre, moncler, new balance shoes, bottega veneta, ugg, ugg australia, hollister clothing store, giuseppe zanotti, wedding dresses, iphone 6 cases, canada goose, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, ferragamo shoes, chi flat iron, moncler, north face jackets, soccer shoes, ugg boots, abercrombie and fitch, babyliss pro, baseball bats, valentino shoes, uggs outlet, ugg pas cher, insanity workout, instyler, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, north face outlet, moncler, canada goose, marc jacobs, canada goose, herve leger, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, birkin bag, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, p90x, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, celine handbags

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home