Thursday, March 16, 2006

The madness behind The Madness

There are a few types of people in this world that I’ll never understand: people who rob people during funerals and weddings, people who watch absolutely NO TV, people who don’t like dogs and – most timely for right now - people who vehemently refuse to succumb to March Madness in some manner, either by filling out a bracket or by just watching the last 10 seconds of some particularly exciting game so they can add something to the water cooler convo at work.

Basketball has always been the great equalizer for me. Yesterday, I was the Quiet Girl at work. Today, I’m “Girl Who Knows You Always Pick At Least ONE 5 Seed Over a 12 Seed” girl. And if my luck holds out, I’m “Girl Who Picked Montana over Nevada” girl. I’m a GENIUS.

Growing up in Kentucky breeds an assortment of quirky behaviors and a head full of useless knowledge that only fellow Kentucky fans and a handful of fans from other diehard sports schools/teams actually get.

For example, everybody knows that it’s not just the team and coach responsible for wins during the tournament. The consistent contribution of each individual fan matters too. And I’m not talking about just showing support at games.

Let’s say you watched the 1996 NCAA tournament at Trump’s Sports Bar in Lexington, KY with your 2 friends John and Matt (hypothetical friends, by the way). Kentucky won it all that year. But in 1997 Matt couldn’t make it because his wife was in labor with the birth of their first daughter. Kentucky loses in the national title game to Arizona. Way to go, Matt. Way to fuck it up for all of us. You can bet your sweet ass that even though Matt’s wife was open to hosting a viewing party at their house for the 1998 tournament, Matt’s ass was back at Trump’s with you and John. ONLY you and John. In the SAME chairs you sat in in ’96, ordering the same items off the menu you got in ‘96. And if those same items weren’t on the menu, Matt and John just explained the situation to their server, who explained it to the cook, who then called a friend to go find the now defunct jalapeno poppers and make sure they were served to Matt and John on exactly the same type of serving plate to ensure everyone was doing their part in helping pull out another championship.

You think I’m making this up? Trust me. I’m not.

What’s happened to my Cats since 1998 you might ask? I can’t speak for the rest of the fans’ behavior since then but I do know that I am solely responsible for last year’s Kentucky loss. I flew to Cyprus. That’s right. Cyprus. To meet Ex British Lover’s family. During March. Cyprus is beautiful but there are no sports bars playing the NCAA basketball tournament, there are no Internet cafes to catch scores at, and EBL’s family is on a waiting list to get Internet and phone connection at home (usually a couple of years in Cyprus). So it wasn’t until I returned to London – ONE WEEK AFTER OUR GAME – that I found out we lost in a tight one to Michigan St.
I’m so sorry, Tubby and team. Never again will I leave the country for ANYONE during March. Period.

Don’t even get me started on grudges. Christian Laettner, 1992. That’s just dirty fucking basketball, people. That launched a hatred for Duke that can never be reversed, a dislike for any and all teams that Laettner ever played for and an intense distaste for pretty much all Duke fans who, for the LIFE of them cannot get one single fucking statistic right to save their lives, even the simple ones like which schools have more championships than theirs (never argue with a Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA fan (possibly Indiana?) on that issue for sure, you useless fuckwits.) It also ensures my support of any team who ever playsDuke. There are other grudges, but the Duke one is more permanent because, in my opinion, their fans are the most know-it-all and offensive of pretty much any other school.

I also reserve a special category of annoyance for what I like to call the “new money” schools. Arizona, for example. OK. So you beat us in 1997. Good for you. But building a dynasty is a marathon, not a sprint, and only a handful of schools are in the club, and as painful as it is for me to say it, Duke’s one of them. Sure, it’s cool to get to the Elite Eight 4 times in the past 6 years. It’s cooler when you’ve actually won championships – PLURAL - over a longer period of time, under different coaches. Call me in, oh, 100 years, you Arizona whores, when you’re actually a threat.

But your off years. Suck. And you want. To die. Really. I’m only slightly over-dramatizing. Kentucky hasn’t showed this poor of a performance since Nixon was in office. Seriously. I can’t decide which is worse: the pain of knowing that your team will do absolutely nothing in the tournament or the depression you experience after a loss in a year in which you were supposed to do something. Whereas tournament days feel as exciting as 5:30 on Christmas Eve in Lexington, with everyone bustling about to get to their destination so they can soak themselves in bourbon and beer cheese, days following a tournament loss feel like half the city was killed in a freak earthquake, tsunami or some other unnatural-to-Kentucky disaster. It’s unbearable.

But if anybody knows how to celebrate it’s a bunch of people from the south who like bourbon and worship basketball like it’s a religion. All pretense of normal behavior is off. One of my favorite family memories is from ’98 when we beat Stanford in the national semi-finals. My family watched the game together and as tacky as it sounds, we all got ridiculously loaded (didn’t we? Or was that just me?). So after we won, we did what any all-American family of drunk basketball freaks does: we got a huge bell and the Kentucky flag and ran through the neighborhood ringing the bell, ushering our neighbors out to celebrate with us in a kind of gigantic Kentucky basketball conga line. Klassy – with a K!

This year, though, I’m not pretending. We’re not going anywhere after game 2, max. I’ll still enjoy the tournament, rooting against Duke and for my other picks. My final 4: UCLA, Texas, UConn and Villanova. I’ve got Villanova beating Texas in the finals.

Why Villanova? I used a mixture of statistics, tempered with a tiny bit of emotion. RPI rankings weighed less into the decision than did their team name (um, they’re Wildcats too).

Oh, and last time they won a championship? 1985, Rupp Arena, in beautiful Lexington, KY.

Told you it was madness.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love march madness too. although i'm a kansas girl. go jayhawks! the fan rituals are sooo important. i know exactly what you mean. i don't hold out much hope for my team either, but it's still a fun time of year.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not doing too well on my bracket so far, mostly because Syracuse lost IN THE FIRST ROUND. Ugh.

I'm totally with you on rooting against Duke whoever they are playing. And man, Christian Laettner would be on my top 10 most despised people of all time list.

Good luck to your Cats!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

I was IMing with your BDH yesterday and when the convo finally got over to you the first words out of her mouth were "Fuck Duke." So here's a little "Fuck Duke!" from the both of us :)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to hold off from commenting here, RBrown, because I was hopeful that you guys would beat UConn. Instead, I sadly offer you my condolences. Tough loss.

And if there's one thing I've learned from my 37 years on this planet, it's that there are only two kinds of people in this country: people who love Duke and people who hate them.

FUCK DUKE! (And Coach K, Christian Laettner, J.J. Reddick, and the rest of the Blue Devils!)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything RBrown says is absolutely true...

As a matter of fact, I think I was in charge of ringing the bell in the neighborhood fiasco parade in 1998 when we kicked some ass for our last championship.

In Kentucky, we all have our UK rituals.
There is one thing that I do, which with limited data, appears to be working about 62% of the time. This is almost as mysterious as why Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.....
http://users.cis.net/sammy/billyjoe.htm....

When the opposing team shoots a freethrow and the game is getting close...I do a little twitch right as they put up their shot, which puts a "little hitch" in the shooters free throw stroke.

Man, I've won so many games this way, it ain't funny..
But like RBrown I must admit to one game that I actually lost for UK.

March 31st 1984
Georgetown vs Ky.
Georgetown has Patrick Ewing Future NBA hall of famer.
To make a long story short, UK shot only 24.5% for the game, and incredibly, hit only 3 of 33 attempts in the second half when none of its starters made a field goal. We lost 53-40 with the 40 points being the fewest by any team in the Final Four since 1949 when Kentucky defeated Oklahoma State, 46-36, in the championship game.

You know why we lost and shot
24.5% for the game?
I was friggin moving that day..yes..shitty planning at best, and a downright ignoramus move on my part.
I only saw the second half which was the worst half in UK history due to my blatant dishonor......
I should have exercised better judgement..

There it is off of my chest after all these years....

Man I feel better...
We'll kick ass next year!!

BLUUUUUE!
WHIIIIIITE!
BLUUUUUUE!
WHIIIIIIITE!!!!

PS. If I ever find the bastard that cost us that Duke game, I'll rip em apart, limb by limb...
they probably went for a beer as the ball was to be thrown in bounds... Dumbass..

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i swear we were seperated at birth. You in Kentucky, me in Kansas (ok, ok, I wasn't naturally born in KS, but for conversation's sake). Two of the most meaningless states in the USA. but there will be basketballl. oh yes, there will be basketball.
When you wake up on game day with butterflies in yourstomach and almost wet yourself because the excitement is too much to make the 30 second trip to the bathroom, then you are a true fan. and I KNOW you've wet your undies a time or two. And you know what else. you don't give up. you're not a fair weather fan. i love you for that.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Piece of Work said...

Oh, Lord. if Duke wins this tournament,especially after my Carolina boys blew their wad against GMU, I will absolutely die. My only hope for JJ Redick is that he enjoys the same kind of success in the NBA that Christian Laetner has.
I was SO pulling for Kentucky against UConn--and as a Carolina fan, I'm not supposed to like you guys. I do find it hard to forgive for allowing the C.Laetner debacle. Still,I like Tubby, and I thought you might pull it out.

Sent over by Heidi, by the way. She thought I might like this post, and I do. Oh yes, I do.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Tweets said...

I absolutely LOVE the tourney. And as I sit here at work right now, I am the only one with a bracket filled out. ONLY. ONE. And I am a girl!

I found a link where you could watch every game live on streaming video and you can guarantee my productvity was next to NIL.

I much more of football girl myself. Being a University of Oklahoma fan, I feel you about the off years (christ they hurt) and the people who think they have dynasties but they don't (cough Kansas State cough).

Fan rituals? Girl, the year OU won their football championship in 2000 I wore a shirt for the entire season without washing it. Only to come home one day to see that roommate had washed it for me as a favor - NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Since then our quarterback broke both of his knees, we've lost in smashing fashion in TWO championship games, and had one of Bob Stoops worst seasons to date. If I ever see that roommate again, she's getting a swift kick to the shins.

7:46 AM  
Blogger 时间 said...

0813jejeIl s'agit généralement air jordan 5 3m black d'un appareil minuscule, beaucoup plus petit que votre téléphone portable, et il se branche correctement sur la prise nike air jordan retro 4 audio de votre téléphone portable ou lecteur MP3. Nous connaissons tous beaucoup asics homme discount de gens «en forme» qui ne sont toujours pas satisfaits de leur adidas zx flux noir prix algerie physique, alors commencez à être heureux en ce moment avec ce chaussure de skate nike sb que vous avez parce qu'il existe quelqu'un qui vous a vu qui échangerait des Air Jordan 4 Purple Star Limited Edition places avec vous dans une minute. Chaque personne aime décorer et profiter d'une célébration avis chaussures asics femme passionnante.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home